Microsoft's Office 365 is one of the more popular, if not the most popular, office productivity suites available to businesses. An integral part of Office 365 is Outlook - Microsoft's email platform. With a wide array of features, Outlook is an email powerhouse. One useful feature is archive, which allows you to file away older emails.
Below are steps on how you can archive your emails in Outlook, and how you can retrieve archived items.
How to archive emails When it comes to archiving emails, you have two options:
- Open Outlook and click on File.
- Select Options followed by Advanced.
- Click on AutoArchive Settings which is located in the third box down.
- Tick the box beside Run AutoArchive every XX Days. This will turn on AutoArchive. Be sure to set how often you would like it to run.
- Set where archived emails will be stored on your computer by clicking Browse. Be sure to also set the age limit when old emails will be moved by selecting the options beside Clean out items older than...
- Press Apply these settings to all folders now to apply the settings to all folders and then press OK when you have set up the options to your preferences.
- Press File followed by Info.
- Press the Cleanup Tools button and select Archive...
- Tick Archive this folder and all subfolders: and select the folder you recently created from the menu below. Note: If you set up AutoArchive, you can press Archive all folders according to their AutoArchive settings to force an AutoArchive.
- Set the age limit in the box that says Archive items older than: emails older than the date you choose will be archived while newer ones will remain.
- Select the location for the archive by clicking Browse and picking where on your computer you would like the backup to be saved.
- Press OK and your files will be archived.
Retrieve your archived emails If you navigate to the folder you set for your backup, you will see the archived emails labeled as archive.pst. If you back up your system regularly, we strongly recommend you ensure that this file is also backed up, as if your system crashes and you haven't backed up this file, you will lose all of your archived emails.
For users of Outlook 2013, you can easily access your archived emails by:
- Opening Outlook.
- Selecting Archives and pressing the black arrow.
- Clicking on the file you have selected to archive.
- The emails should pop right up.
- Pressing File followed by Open.
- Selecting Open Outlook Data File.
- Clicking on the archived file and pressing OK.
If you would like to learn more about Outlook and other programs included in Office 365, please contact us today.